Built for Results Programme
ABPLAN's Plan and Accelerate Your Business Programme, called the Built for Results Programme, has been developed over many years. It is light on theory and strong on the practical side.
Clients and client sectors
In which sector does your company or organisation fall?
We have offered the Built for Results Programme or variations thereof successfully to a variety of clients in these sectors:
- Professional Services sector including independent professionals such as marketers, information technology companies, retailers, engineering companies, designers, consultants, coaches, event organising companies, legal firms, a specialised tuition provider and many others. For a list of 47 examples, click on...companies.
- Trusts and Public-Benefit Organisations. Click on...trusts
- Parastatals such as the Development Bank of Southern Africa. Click on...parastatals
- Universities, colleges, academies and companies involved in training. Click on...universities
The full programme is intensive and is meant for established, successful businesses or organisations of all sizes.
The size of the organisation is not a norm, but its success record is. We work with large and small clients who have a track record of successful accomplishments over some years. (By definition this excludes start-ups.)
ABPLAN's top high-end Built fo Results Programme is aimed at increasing the client base of our clients by 15% to 30% and increasing their bottom line substantially. Depending on the type of business and the commitment of the owners, a this is possible - especially for independent service professionals.
ABPLAN and its clients together determine the major targets and outcomes at the start of a project. What are your objectives and outcomes?
We go through a thorough review and planning process each month. What have we achieved and what do you wish to achieve in the next month?
Duration of the Built for Results Programme
The Built for Results Programme runs for 12 months - as this is how long it usually takes to effectively integrate new thinking and establish new patterns of doing.
Small specialised, short programmes
We do not only offer the major Built for Results Programme. You might wish to opt for a specialised short programme:
- An intensive, invigorating two-day workshop covers a Scenario Conversation and a Balanced Scorecard. The Scenario Conversation of the first day ends in a Strategic Plan, containing Mission and Vision statements (plus a number of Wildly Important Goals (WIGs)) and Core Values. The second day covers the installation of a Corporate Balanced Scorecard (BSC).
- For some clients a straightforward project planning approach rather than a Balanced Scorecard is an option.
- ABPLAN also runs a short, very targeted Strategic Marketing Programme resulting in a Marketing Plan and up to 8 Action Plans covering a website, a newsletter, a blog, LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, a Speaker's Kit and Presentations and a Referral Introduction Action Plan.
- We also offer a series of other short programmes based on a select combination of modules from the 35 modules of our Built for Results Programme.
- Each of the small programmes includes a series of one-on-one follow-up meetings, as once-off workshops do not make much of a difference in changing behaviour, in getting new results. Additional executive coaching and practice ensure transformation and results.
The needs of our clients, their problems and aimed-for results determine which consultancy tools and modules to use.
We analyse each prospective client and adapt our programme to the needs of each.
Great companies, of whatever size, do a number of things right. We ensure that you get the consultancy support you need. We move forward incrementally and in a prioritised manner. Together we review, rethink and adapt and achieve success.
What does the Built for Results Programme cover?
This programme has six major components:
- Clear Direction - a Strategic Plan
- Operational Planning - converting the strategic plan into an operational plan
- Marketing - getting your message out
- Execution - ensuring that getting things done is placed on an action track
- Relations and culture - your team first, then your clients
- Mindsets and blockages - supporting positive mindsets and addressing areas in which people display constrictive mindsets and are consequently experiencing blockages. They feel "stuck".
We aim to establish with the full collaboration of our clients conditions which reflect what leaders do right.
Stages of the Built for Results Programme
My Dear MD letter provides an composite overview of situations and pressures which many of my clients have experienced and the solutions and benefits which the Built for Results Programme offers.
This letter refers to the preceding six major components.
How are the programmes offered?
- Workshops: Most programmes are offered by means of one to three workshops followed by one-on-one coaching sessions. Workshops create new insights and understanding, but approximately 80% of the results can be linked to coaching about installing new systems and how to use them.
- Coaching at executive level: Execution is important but it often needs to be learned. Workshops lead to the development of strategic and operational plans but then new objectives need to be thoroughly executed. The amount of one-on-one coaching at executive level and in team situations is often an important determinant of success.
- Integration into actual work: Coaching assignments are integrated in a practical problem-solution based manner into your actual work. Coaching is aimed at assisting you in working more effectively as individuals and as a team and in delivering outputs which your clients or customers need and expect.
- Modules: Coaching is supplemented with proper back-up and support by means of modules consisting of brief backgrounders and diagrammes, by calls (phone and Skype), with emails, and ensuring that all participants have access, via Dropbox or Zoho project software, to strategic and operational plans.
Clients gain immediate access to coaching modules which are hosted on this site with access to clients only (who are assigned user names and passwords).
How is progress and results assured and tracked?
Progress with the Built for Results Programme is assured and can be tracked in a very practical manner with a high-level operational plan, called a Balanced Scorecard (BSC). We deal with only three major category objectives per month. Every team member lists their supporting objectives, each takes incremental action and the team moves forward week by week.
A Monthly BSC enables overviews spanning 1 to 12 months. ABPLAN also lists its objectives and inputs concerning our combined project on your Balanced Scorecard. I become part of your team. Together we move forward. Each objective is an assignment. The BSC is a progress and productivity measurement tool.
The Built for Results Programme is an integrated transformational approach which involves every person. It enriches and stimulates personal learning and growth, team growth and company growth.
Supplementary background information
The pages that follow contain background information additional to the modules of the Built for Results Programme. Click on each title for information.
Planning is an extremely important but often neglected aspect of an organisation's activities.
"Planning" is covered under:
- scenario planning
- strategic planning
- a strategy map and a Blue Ocean strategy canvas assist in creating strategic focus
- Balanced Scorecard - used by thousands of organisations. In some case we recommend using a simpler planning format
- scorecard intangibles - your human capital (people), your information and intellectual capital and your organisation capital meaning your company culture, leadership and such factors
- project planning - while the Balanced Scorecard contains principles of project planning, you might have a specific need for project planning on its own
Execution in a much-ignored topic - in theory and in practice. Better than average results are totally dependent on executing well.
This important topic is covered under these headings:
execution of plans
execution as strategy
collaborative websites for execution
agreement and "building agreement"
How your company conducts strategy workshops and meetings has a huge influence on achieving results.
- workshops - off-site direction-determining
- large workshops - where necessary
- effective meetings
- dysfunctions within meetings
Marketing requires a fresh approach. The world and your clients have changed.
- marketing game
- social media marketing
- client-centric marketing
- PowerPoint and other presentations
A great culture provides a competitive advantage. How do "best companies to work for" do it?
company culture - Company cultures mostly come about by default. You and your team could purposefully build a company culture of your choice. ...company culture
emotional intelligence - Do you have one management style and expect your staff to read you and fit in? You could knowingly change gears - and increase profits ...emotional intelligence
Last modified: 13-04-2013
"We called in ABPLAN in 2006 and simply asked: "How can we raise the bar and become the best team in our industry in the Boland based on measurable performance?" We had the basics in place but how to get to a higher level?
Albert's main impact was on drawing all the management team members into the process of planning and execution and involving staff members in identifying opportunities for efficient performance.
We use the Balanced Scorecard (BSC); run participative meetings, measure results and have a more client-focused culture. Our team has grown from 33 to 47.
We are now calling on ABPLAN to assist us in cascading our company's BSC to our departments and in linking planning and execution to a more efficient Performance Appraisal System.
Albert made a measurable difference."
BGR Aucamp Scholtz Inc
(Now Aucamp Scholtz Lubbe)